Ask A Question  | Learn more about Panama

How can I add my son as a dependent for Panama’s Retirement Program?

I have a 17-year old son who will attend college soon this fall. We expect him to be financially dependent on us during his four years of college. My wife and I are considering applying for Panama’s Retirement Program. Can we add him to our application? Will his visa be voided if he reaches a certain age?

  • Kraemer & Kraemer
    August 29, 2018

    Certainly, as your son is under the age of 18, you may apply for the pensionado visa with him as your dependent. He will need to have his passport, five photos and his birth certificate to apply as your dependent. From the ages of 18 to 25, he is still eligible to apply as your dependent. However, he will be required to provide his passport, five photos, his birth certificate, a certificate of singleness, and certificate of full-time study. Permanent residency does not require renewal.

  • Mulford Abogados
    August 28, 2018

    Please note that you can add your son as a dependent for Panama's Retirement Program, as long as he's under 25 years old and he's studying in college in Panama. If he'll be studying abroad, he can't apply. He'll get a dependent visa for two years and then he can apply for a dependent permanent visa. Please note that both applications must be submitted before he turns 25. Also, you can request him as a dependent in the same application or you can request him after you get the visa.

  • Panama Global Solutions
    August 29, 2018

    Underage children of retirees may be included as dependents simply by providing birth certificates and criminal records (for children above 14 years old). However, they will obtain a residency permit that will last until they turn 25. If the residency application is submitted after 18 years old, proof of being registered in a local (Panamanian) college should be provided.