Ask A Question  | Learn more about Japan

How can I apply for permanent residency in Japan as a tourist?

I traveled to Japan two weeks ago as a tourist. I did not apply for a visa because my home country Australia has a visa exemption agreement with Japan. I understand that I am only allowed to stay here for a maximum of 90 days. If I successfully find a job within this period, do I have to leave the country first and apply for a different type of visa and enter again? Can I change my status and apply for permanent residency without having to leave? What other options do I have to get permanent residency in Japan?

  • Nakai Immigration Services LPC
    September 04, 2019

    Your current tourist status or a temporary visitor status is not allowed to change to another status within Japan. You first need to apply for a certificate of eligibility at a local immigration office, which is a sort of petition being filed by your employer in Japan as a visa sponsor. Upon the issuance of the certificate you can apply for a working visa at Japanese embassy or consulate office in Australia with the certificate. After your re-entering with a work status and living in Japan for years, you will have a chance to file a permanent residency application. Depending on your status you can apply for PR status after one year to 10 years of stay.