Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

How can I outsource a company to sponsor my employee for a work permit in Greece?

I run a trading business in China and I want to open a branch in Greece. I plan to send one of my senior staff members to Greece to manage the Greek office. However, I was told that to apply for a work permit for a foreign employee, the employer needs to be a locally licensed and incorporated entity. Since my Greek office is yet to be set up, I am wondering if there is any way I can outsource a company to sponsor my employee for a work permit.

  • Papalois & Associates Legal
    December 28, 2018

    You can establish a branch in Greece and send your employee as an executive. A national visa type D will be needed by the Greek embassy.

  • December 31, 2018

    A work permit for employees of "special purpose" requires by the employee some general "easy" documents like a certain type of visa (type DA2), four photos, a copy of his passport legally certified, a deposit in favor of the Greek government and some special documents. All the special documents (such as the statute of the firm, the work contract, etc.) that are needed are provided by the firm. The only employees who can get this type of work permit are the executives of a company for instance the members of the board of directors, shareholders, general directors, legal representatives, etc. In order to apply for the visa type DA2, the company must provide to the executive a copy of the Government Gazette that shows the establishment of a local company or proves the establishment of a subsidiary or a branch of a foreign company operating in Greece, in which is included the appointment or the election of the executive, the statute of the firm, a copy of the decision of the competent body of the company for the status as members of the board of directors or managers or legal representatives or general practitioners directors or directors, or a copy of the company's statute and a recent certificate for the company 's shareholding structure as well as a certificate for the company' s shareholding registered office of the non-resident company if it does not result from the above (in the case of affiliated companies).

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    January 03, 2019

    According to Greek immigration law, there are four types of work permits issued for foreign citizens and, according to each type, some additional special provisions and terms are applied. The first type of work permit is one for dependent work. Second is employees of special “purpose.” This kind of employee is an executive of a company. For instance, it could be the members of the board of directors, shareholders, general directors, legal representatives, etc. The third type is seasonable employment. The fourth type is investment activity(shareholders and executives). The best way for your investment is to set up your investment activity through establishment of your local branch first and continuously to send your executive member to this company following the rovisions of art. 16 of 4251/2014/. But since you are not ready with the final investment scheme, you could investigate the possibility of cooperation with an established Greek company that fulfills the provisions of the law and could “hire” your executive employee as BOD member or general director, as per above under a specific agreement for provision of specific services to your company.

  • Right Target Estate
    January 09, 2019

    In order to apply for a work permit for one of your employees, you must start the proceedings for a company's incorporation.