Ask A Question  | Learn more about Australia

How can I switch from a student visa to an investor visa?

I am currently holding a student visa in Sydney and will graduate with a Ph.D. next year. I want to make an investment or set up my own business in the country. What is the process of switching from a student visa to an investor visa? Do I have to return to my home country during this process?

  • Australian Visa Options
    May 09, 2020

    If you obtained a Ph.D. qualification in Australia you will be eligible for a temporary graduate 485 visa in the Post Study Work stream which will be valid for four years. During this time you will be able to establish a business in Australia or make an investment and transition to a business visa. To prepare for this visa pathway and choose the correct visa stream it will necessary to speak with a migration professional to determine your eligibility and choose the best option for you.

  • Education Overseas Academy
    May 09, 2020

    You can submit an application for subclass 188 investor visa when you held a student visa. You do not have to return to your home country for submitting the visa application.  However, please note that the investor visa is based on the submission of Expression of Interest (EOI) online, and only on being nominated by a State or Territory government Agency or by Austrade, you will be invited to apply for the visa.  Accordingly, only after being invited from the EOI, you will be making the actual visa application.  Should you be able to complete the above process and make the visa application before the expiry of your student visa, you will be granted a bridging visa, and thus you do not have to return to your home country for this purpose.

  • Quentin Kuo Law + Immigration
    May 09, 2020

    The switch will be simple provided that your circumstances allow.