Ask A Question  | Learn more about Australia

What are the requirements for hiring an investment advisor to manage my SIV investment?

I am interested in relocating my family from Indonesia to Australia and I am considering the SIV program. However, much of my wealth has been inherited and I have very little experience investing in funds. What are my options if I don’t feel comfortable to invest myself? Is it acceptable to hire a professional to assist me and manage the investment?

  • Elena K Lawyers
    April 12, 2018

    Firstly, it is necessary to establish your eligibility to apply for a significant investor visa. Yes, you are allowed to hire another person to manage your investment. The significant investor visa does not require you to actively manage your complying investment. Therefore, you can appoint another person to do it on your behalf. From July 1, 2015, complying investments under this visa category must be provided by an Australian financial services-licensed manager permanently residing in Australia. Please note that as part of the significant investor visa application, you will be required to make the investment after the application is lodged, but before the visa is granted. The Department of Home Affairs (former Department of Immigration and Border Protection) will confirm when such investment should be made.

  • Quentin Kuo Law + Immigration
    April 14, 2018

    I believe you are referring to a financial planner in Australia. Of course, hire a professional to manage your funds if you doubt yourself and learn in the process. The most responsible element of this process is that you hire professionals and their values align with your instructions and do not deviate from your best interests. This is a very smart and responsible move you suggest.

  • Australian Visa Options
    April 17, 2018

    It is not only acceptable to have a funds manager, but highly advisable. The investment fund manager should have an Australian Financial Services licence and needs to be located in Australia. Because of the complexity of compliance issues in migration law, it is advisable to use a fund manager with experience in SIV applications to avoid any problems. Lodging an SIV application should have a two-pronged approach: engaging an investment fund manager for financial advice and then engaging a registered migration agent for migration advice. The two professionals work in partnership to get the best result for their client.

  • ANZ Migration
    October 27, 2018

    All of my significant investor visa (SIV) clients use a SIV fund manager. There are strict requirements for each of the three components of the SIV fund: the venture capital (minimum $500,000), the emerging companies (public shares, minimum $1.5 million) and the managed fund (minimum $3 million). It is important that the compliance requirements for each of these are met. However, I do recommend you engage a fund manager to guide you and assist with making the investments to ensure that each of these is compliant.