Ask A Question  | Learn more about Canada

Am I allowed to enroll my children in a public school in a province other than the one I invested in as a participant of the provincial nominee program of Canada?

I understand that once nominated by a province of Canada as a candidate for its provincial nominee program, a foreign investor has to fulfill the planned business within this province and keep permanent residency there. I want to know if it is possible to enroll my children in public schools in another province while enjoying the benefit of tuition deduction. If not, will my children be treated as an international student and pay higher tuition?

  • Lerom Law Firm
    February 20, 2020

    It depends on the province and the program. It is generally possible, but you have to confirm with the school and PNP directly. You may need to explain the reason for selecting a different province for your children's studies. Keep in mind though that Canadian Provinces nominate candidates for permanent residency based on their intention to move and live in that specific province. The intention may be later questioned unless there is a reasonable explanation.