Ask A Question  | Learn more about Portugal

Can an 18-year-old be returned to their home country if they don't study in Portugal?

If the child entered Portugal at age 16 under a (DF) family reunification visa and attended school but could not enroll in a university now that they are 18. Can they be denied the status and send them back to their original country?

  • Lamares, Capela & Associados, Sociedade de Advogados
    July 03, 2024

    We advise that the child enrolls in a university, in a course taught by an official educational organization in Portugal, or starts a professional activity to maintain their legal status there. However, the fact that they have not yet enrolled in a university will not prevent them from maintaining their legal residence in Portugal because, even if the residence card has expired, it is considered valid until 30 June 2025, as determined by the Portuguese government. It is, therefore, not possible to cancel the residence card.