Ask A Question  | Learn more about Australia

Can I bring workers from outside the Australia for my business established for the purpose of a 132a visa?

I would like to make a business investment in Australia and apply for a 132a visa. Can I bring foreign workers to Australia for the operation of my business? If so, what types of visas do I need to apply for them?

  • Quentin Kuo Law + Immigration
    December 09, 2019

    In theory, any sponsored visa is useful, including subclasses 400, 407 and 482. The specific visa type depends on the resume of the worker you seek to bring.

  • Regis Legal
    December 07, 2019

    There are no restrictions on you in terms of hiring foreign labor as long as you can prove the genuine need to hire them. You need to prove no other Australian citizen, eligible NZ citizens or permanent residents here can do the same job. However, do note that the subclass 132 visa's business program was also intended for you to benefit the Australian economy when you start the business here, so the hiring of locals is encouraged as much as possible. Depending on the type of labor/occupations you require for your business, there are different types of work visas such as temporary skills shortage visa (subclass 482) or skilled employer-sponsored regional visa (subclass 494) or even work and holiday visa holders for short-term work. It is impossible to tell what kind of visas you will need unless you speak with a migration professional who can advise you specifically.

  • ANZ Migration
    December 07, 2019

    There are pathways to do this. Some applicants under 132 bring existing management staff from their overseas business to assist them in managing or establishing the Australian business. If the Australia business is not yet operating, you can use the overseas business to sponsor the worker to go to Australia. Alternatively, you can use the Australian business to sponsor. Generally, this will be under the subclass 482 and will usually be issued for 1 year for a new company. It is possible to obtain permanent residency under the subclass 186 or 187 employer nominated residence visa.