Ask A Question  | Learn more about Australia

Can I get extended stay if I apply for the Australian 417 and 462 visas now?

I learned that the Australia government has granted an additional six to 12 months of stay in Australia to help with the bushfire recovery. I am wondering if I can enjoy this extended stay if I apply for these two types of visas now.

  • Australian Visa Options
    February 22, 2020

    There has always been the option of completing 3 months of specified work while holding your first 417 or 462 visa in order to qualify for a second 12-month visa. It is also possible to complete 6 months of specified work during the second year to qualify for a third 417 or 462 visa. There is usually a 6-month limitation on working for the same employer, however from 17 February 2020, working holidaymakers (subclass 417 and subclass 462 visa holders) assisting bushfire recovery efforts can work for up to 12 months with the same employer or organization without requesting permission. The other change that was made from this date is that working holidaymakers will be able to count paid or volunteer bushfire recovery work as specified work for the purposes of applying for a second or third visa. It is still only possible to stay on a 417 or 462 visa for a maximum of 3 years.