Ask A Question  | Learn more about Malta

Does the Malta Golden Visa have any work restrictions

I wish to invest in a hotel in Malta and manage it as well. Can I do this as a Golden Visa recipient? Am I allowed to work in other countries as well, perhaps starting a chain of hotels as a non-citizen of the EU but a visa holder in Malta?

  • November 14, 2018

    Though the Malta and Residency Visa program you will be granted the right to reside indefinitely in Malta. However, to work in Malta, you will be required to apply for the issuance of a work permit. Furthermore, although the program provides the right to travel visa-free within the Schengen Area, you will still be required to obtain the necessary work permit and resident permit if you decide to work or live in any of the Schengen countries.

  • Arthur and Partners
    November 16, 2018

    Yes, it is possible to work in Malta with the Golden Visa program. You would be required to also apply for a work permit. The Golden Visa would not necessarily allow you to work in other states.

  • Charles Scerri & Associates
    November 14, 2018

    Reference is being made to LN 288 of 2015, which does not entitle the beneficiary to any employment licences. In this regard, the beneficiary would still need to apply for a work permit. As things stand today, the beneficiary can apply for a work permit by submitting an application for a work permit through the normal channels. The beneficiary can apply, through the competent authorities, to launch a business in Malta, as long as he or she satisfies the prevailing legislation. The MRPV provides you visa-free travel within the EU. However, it does not provide you the right to work therein.

  • November 14, 2018

    Kindly note that in such cases, one would still need to apply for a usual work permit in terms of EU laws.

  • November 14, 2018

    The Malta Golden Visa does not have any work restrictions whatsoever. You can invest in Malta when you become a Maltese citizen, and will be allowed to travel and work within any EU state with your Maltese passport.

  • Grant Thornton
    November 14, 2018

    Yes, you may. Details apply

  • BIZ Consult Limited
    November 15, 2018

    The Malta and Residency Visa Program gives you rights to reside permanently in Malta and travel visa-free within the Schengen Area. If you wish to work you are required to apply for a work permit. If you decide to stay in any EU country more than 90 days, you will be required to obtain the resident permit and the work permit if you decide to work in EU.