Ask A Question  | Learn more about United Kingdom

Does the U.K. still offer fast-track process for tier 1 investors?

I have read about the expedited processing options but am unsure how they work. Can the investments be in anything to get quicker approval, such as the government bonds or commercial real estate? Does it have to be something more specific? Please advise.

  • Global 4 Immigration
    May 15, 2019

    If you are coming to the U.K. under the tier 1 investor visa, you cannot apply under a super priority visa and regardless how much or what you invest will not prioritize your visa application. The only visa applications permitted under super priority are visitor visas (excluding those from commonwealth countries, overseas domestic workers and customers from British Overseas Territories), points-based system tier 2, tier 4 and tier 5 (creative and sporting). Under standard service, you should get a visa decision in three weeks. The Home Office recently tightened the rules on the tier 1 Investor visa, so regarding U.K. investment and specifically to U.K. government bonds, as from March 29, 2019, you can now only invest in U.K. share capital or loan capital in active and trading U.K. registered companies. Prior to this date you could have invested in U.K. government bonds. Regarding commercial real estate, the immigration rules states that the funds must not be invested in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development (meaning in this context any investment or development of property to increase the value of property with a view to earning a return either through rent or a future sale, or both, or the management of property for the purposes of renting it out or resale). The principle is that business income must be generated from the supply of goods and/or services and not derived from the increased value of property or any income generated through property, such as rent. This restriction does not, however, prevent you investing in companies that are mainly involved in construction.