Ask A Question  | Learn more about Cyprus

How can I acquire citizenship and reside in Cyprus as the partner of a Cypriot citizen?

My partner is a British born Greek Cypriot who has just acquired his citizenship, I am also born in the U.K. We have recently moved to Cyprus with our 10 year old son. I thought that myself and my son would need to apply for an MEU2, but have been told that my son can apply for citizenship and then I can apply to be a parent of a Cypriot citizen. From what I understand, our son cannot apply for citizenship as my partner was not a citizen at the time of his birth, and I cannot apply for the MCYV2 as we are not married. Is this correct? Wouldn’t a MEU2 be more beneficial than a MCYV2 in terms of work, healthcare, etc.? If my son was to take citizenship here, would he need to complete national service before further education, say, if he decided to go to university in the U.K.?

  • CA Advocates (Pourgoura & Aspri LLC)
    January 03, 2023

    Your son can apply for Cyprus citizenship via M126. Minors born in Cyprus or abroad prior to June 11, 1999, whose mother is a Cypriot citizen and father is a foreigner, or minors whose father acquired Cypriot citizenship after their birth. You as a residence of Cyprus will be allowed to obtain the citizenship only after 5 years of marriage and residing in Cyprus with a Cyprus national. Your minor child can never grant you the right to obtain citizenship - only via marriage. If your son obtains the citizenship he will be obliged to go to the army if he will be a resident of Cyprus. In order for you to remain in Cyprus, you need to apply for a residence permit - for the spouse of a Cyprus national.