Ask A Question  | Learn more about Australia

How can I apply for Australia permanent residency if I can’t meet the age requirement?

I obtained my long-term 482 visa last year. I know that I could apply for permanent residency three years after obtaining the visa, but I am already 44 years old now. I heard that there is an age limit to permanent residency applicants in this subclass. Some says it is 45 years old and some says it is 50. I was also told that there is a way to get a waiver if one could not meet the age requirements. In my case, will I be eligible to apply for permanent residency in two years? How can I get a waiver?

  • Australian Visa Options
    January 11, 2019

    There are limited exemptions to the age requirement for applicants for a subclass 186 visa or subclass 187 visa under the Temporary Residence Transition Scheme. Most are occupation-based. If you are employed as a researcher, scientist or technical specialist who has been nominated by an Australian scientific agency, or as an academic nominated by an Australian university, or a medical practitioner who has been employed in regional Australia for at least two years in the last three as the holder of a 482 or 457 visa, you can apply for an age waiver. The other exemption is income based and is available for people who have been employed for at least three years and were paid at the equivalent of high-income threshold for each of those three years. The high-income threshold is currently set at 145,400 Australian dollars.

  • Regis Legal
    January 11, 2019

    There is no age limit to apply for a 482 visa, but there is the 45-year-old cap on the PR criteria should you want to work three years and then transition to a PR visa. If you are past 45, you will not be eligible for a employer-nominated PR visa. The age waiver only applies if you are nominated by an Australian scientific government agency to work as a researcher, scientist, academic worker such as a university lecturer, faculty head or medical practitioner.

  • Future in Australia
    January 09, 2019

    I can advise you further on this after knowing more information, like what is your current position in your company? What is your salary level? Will your current company sponsor you for employer-assisted PR? Much more information is required to advise you better.

  • Julian-Armitage Migration Lawyers (JAM)
    January 09, 2019

    It is complicated to advise, as it is dependent on where you are, i.e., an urban region. It is also dependant upon your skills. I would recommend you engage the services of a professional migration lawyer so you can examine your case in detail and give you advice as to how best going forward.

  • ESS Worldwide
    January 10, 2019

    Depending on when you applied for your 482 visa, the age limit of 45 years applies. If you applied for a 457 or 482 in April 2017, you are eligible to apply for PR with 50. Should the age limit of 45 years apply to you, there are certain age waivers available for certain occupations and for high-income earners. This would, however, need to be closely assessed, as it is a case-by-case scenario. Given that you are 44 years old, you may also be eligible to apply directly for a PR visa prior to turning 45 years, subject to your English, qualifications and work experience.