Ask A Question  | Learn more about United Kingdom

How can I apply for permanent residency in the U.K. if I have a tier 2 intra-company transfer visa?

I was recently transferred from my company’s Tokyo office to its London office with a tier 2 intra-company transfer visa. I will be working here for at least three years. I am wondering if it is possible to apply for permanent residency with my visa. If it is, what is the process and timeline?

  • SB Immigration Ltd
    May 10, 2019

    No, you cannot apply for permanent residency if you are under the tier 2 ICT visa. It is specifically designed for transfers. If you want to come to the U.K. with a view of settling here, then you will need to find an another visa category.

  • Sterling Law
    May 13, 2019

    Unfortunately, tier 2 ICT does not lead to settlement and it would be impossible to qualify for ILR after obtaining this type of visa. You will need to be on tier 2 general in order to apply for settlement after residing in the U.K. for the continuous period of five years.

  • Global 4 Immigration
    May 10, 2019

    Unfortunately you cannot apply for U.K. settlement via the tier 2 intra-company transfer route. On April 6, 2010, the Home Office amended the immigration rules and stopped settlement via this visa route. You are only permitted to remain in the under this visa route for five years and then you must depart the U.K. for 12 months (cooling-off period) before you can come back to the U.K. under this visa route. If your annual income exceeds 120,000 pounds, you can remain in the U.K. for up to nine years. If your aim is to obtain U.K. settlement, you should consider a different visa route and the route you should consider will depend on your unique circumstances.