Ask A Question  | Learn more about Canada

How can I maintain my status as a temporary worker in Canada after the termination of my employment agreement?

I’m employed by a Canadian company on a temporary work visa but I’ve just been informed that our agreement will terminate within two months. Is there a way I can extend my visa to look for employment in my field? I have two years of experience now working in Canada so is that a factor they would consider to extend my visa or give me a job seeking visa?

  • MICS Global
    December 11, 2023

    I would check for your permanent residency options considering having 2 years of Canadian experience class.

    November 30, 2023

    If your temporary work visa is about to expire, there are steps you can take to extend your stay in Canada. Here are some options. (i) Extend your work permit: You can apply to extend your work permit online. Make sure your application is complete before submitting it. Apply at least 30 days before your current permit expires. If approved, you’ll receive a letter confirming that you can continue working under the same conditions as your current work permit. (ii) Bridging work permit: If you’re waiting for a decision on your permanent residence application, you can apply for a bridging open work permit. This allows you to keep working while your PR application is being processed. (iii) Look for a new job in Canada: As you have two years of experience working in Canada, consider searching for a new job in your field. If you find employment, you can apply for a new work permit based on your new job offer. Remember to check the specific eligibility criteria and requirements for each option. It’s essential to plan ahead and take action before your current work permit expires. Good luck with your visa extension, and I hope you find a great opportunity in Canada!

  • Kranc Associates
    November 30, 2023

    You can remain in Canada as long as your work permit is valid - even if you do not work for the original 'sponsor'. You could look for a new job, but of course, if they want to hire you, you need a new offer and legal basis for work at the new employer. Any extension beyond the original work permit for 'visiting' (there is no 'job seeking visa') would be discretionary.