Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

How could my son keep his residency permit and reunite with his wife in Greece under the Golden Visa program?

Three years ago I applied for the Greek Golden Visa program and my 17-year-old son got his residence permit as my dependent. He just reached 20 years old recently and got engaged with a girl from our home country. If they get married, could my son lose his eligibility as a dependent of me? If not, could he apply for some kinds of residency permit for his wife, or do I have to be the applicant and apply for her since I was the primary applicant?

  • Papalois & Associates Legal
    August 23, 2018

    In any case, normally your son's residency permit expires in one year (issued until 21 years old). He also cannot bring the wife here because he is a dependent and not the main applicant. What we propose is that you sell your property to your son and this makes him the main applicant. Then you are issued a residency permit as his parent and he can bring his wife too.

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    August 23, 2018

    A residency permit for real estate owners is a new type of residency permit for third-country citizens. Beneficiaries of the right of entry and the permanent resident permit, which shall be renewed every five years, are: a) third-country citizens who own real estate property in Greece, either personally or through a legal entity of which they own the total of the company shares, provided the minimum value of the property is 250,000 euros; b) third-country citizen who has full ownership, ownership and possession of real estate in Greece, acquired through donation or parental benefit, of the minimum amount of 250,000 euros. The family members of the mentioned beneficiaries: spouses, the direct descendants of the spouses who are under the age of 21, the direct relatives of the spouses in the ascending line. Following the above provisions for the resident permit for property owners, the best solution to your request, if you have no other family members besides your spouse and your adult son who are currently enjoying the privilege of resident permit, is either the sale or donation/parental provision of the property to your son. In such a situation, your son becomes the main investor and, as his family members, you are granted the privilege of a residency permit his wife, his parents and his children in the future. Alternatively, your son could buy his own property with minimum value of 250,000 euros