Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

How can I enroll my child in Greek schools if we hold temporary blue cards?

My wife and I are considering relocating to Greece through the Golden Visa program. My son is turning 6 soon and we want to apply as soon as possible in order to enroll him in the first grade in Greece. But I understand that the processing of applications takes time. If it takes longer than usual and we do not get our resident permits before the new school year begins, how can we enroll him in local schools with a blue card?

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    November 14, 2018

    The owner of the real estate property and his family members are not affected by the duration of the processing of their application, from the moment the application is submitted to the relevant authorities until the issuing of a decision by the secretary general of the decentralized authority regarding their resident permit. After the application has been submitted, the applicants receive a receipt confirming the submission of the application, which is valid for one year. The time required to process the application depends on the authority where it has been submitted, yet it may not exceed two months after all the necessary documents have reached the competent authority. The third-country citizens who have submitted an application and received the confirmation receipt described above (blue card) can reside legally in the country for the duration of the confirmation receipt (one year). The holders of the confirmation receipt are entitled to the benefits of the resident permit that they have applied for.

  • Right Target Estate
    November 14, 2018

    This is a question you must ask to the school. You would want to enroll your child, since each school has its own rules on that and it is not a matter of general legislation.

  • Papalois & Associates Legal
    November 14, 2018

    Υou can enroll your child in a Greek school with the blue card, since you would live legally in the country.