Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

How can my husband get a residency card in Greece and what insurance does he need?

I am a Greek EU citizen but my husband is not. We are coming to Greece next year and I want to apply for my husband's residency card as we will be in Greece and will be visiting other countries for longer than the 3 months. What kind of insurance do we need for the residency card? Any other requirements he has to fulfill?

  • Synergia Technical and Consulting SA
    October 16, 2021

    Your husband has 3 months, starting from the day of legal entry, to apply for a residence permit as the “family member of a Greek citizen”. The insurance is a private one. A temporary residence permit is initially granted. The permanent residence permit, under which the citizen of a third country needs to travel to other Schengen countries, takes much time to be issued; it requires residence in Greece at least 6 months per year and is granted for 5 years. After five years, it is renewable for 10 years if it is proved that he resides in Greece for at least 6 months per year. Also, this permit provides access to any form of work.

  • Foutsis & Partners Law Firm
    October 13, 2021

    He could apply for a 5-year residence as the spouse of a Greek citizen. He must get a private health insurance.