Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

What documents do I need from my ex-wife to include my son into my Golden Visa application?

I share custody of my son with my ex-wife. I want to apply for a Greek Golden Visa and include my son in the application. I know that I might need to ask for the consent from my wife in order to do so, but I am wondering if the Greek government require any extra documents from my ex-wife?

  • January 03, 2019

    Third-country citizens may be accompanied by their family members to whom individual resident permits shall be issued following a relevant application, and is valid for as long as the sponsor’s own permit is. Family members include: (a) the spouse; (b) the direct descendants of both spouses or of either spouse who are under 21 years of age; (c) direct ascendants of the spouses. Descendants older than 21 and up to 24 years of age are granted an independent resident permit pursuant to Article 76, Law 4251/2014. The required supporting documents are: a certified family status certificate establishing family relationship in case you have entered the country as a holder of a visa type C. In case you hold a national visa by the Greek consular authorities in your place of residence, a declaration that your family status has not changed is required. Additionally, the required supporting documents, as in all cases, are: four recent color photographs, of the same technical requirements as passport photographs, also in JPEG200 file format on a compact disk. In particular, the photograph and digital image should be: in color; taken within the last month so as to reflect your current appearance; sized 4X6 cm (without frame); printed on high quality photograph white paper, not watermarked or embossed; of high resolution, not raster or pixel images and not printed on inkjet or laser printers. You also need a certified copy of a valid passport or travel documents recognized by Greece and with the relevant valid entry visa, where required; a residence permit electronic fee (500 euros for a five-year permit, though minor children are exempted from this fee); the cost of single document permit 16 euros, Code 4762; a private health insurance policy according to required coverage, either concluded in the applicant’s country of origin to provide coverage for the whole length of stay in Greece, or is concluded in Greece for coverage as prescribed in JMD n.53821/2014. Therefore, you can bring your son here in Greece with you just right after you apply and get your Golden Visa. In all of the above documents, the competent authority will absolutely need the consent of the mother in written as well as the document that incorporates the decision of the custody that you share with your ex-wife.

  • Papalois & Associates Legal
    January 03, 2019

    A consent declaration from the ex-wife in writing that she agrees the child to immigrate to Greece and apply the Greek permanent residence permit with you is OK. Double certified (by Greek embassy).

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    January 03, 2019

    According the Greek immigration law, third-country citizens who invest in property are granted a permanent resident permit for property owners. Their family members are entitled to the privileges of the same status of residence permit. Family members are considered: spouses; the other partner with whom a third-country national has a co-habitation agreement in Greece; the direct unmarried descendants of the spouses who are under the age of 21; the direct unmarried descendants of the investor or of the other spouse/partner, provided that their custody has been legally entrusted to the sponsor (for his/her children) and to the other partner (for his/her children) under 21 years of age; the direct ascendants of the spouses. Family members are not obliged to submit their application for initial resident permit simultaneously with the investor. They have the option to submit it subsequently, whenever they enter the country legally. The family members are granted a resident permit of the same duration as the applicant. The children of the applicant, who have been originally admitted to the country under the terms and requirements of a resident permit for property owners, are issued a resident permit for family reunification until the age of 21. After that, it is possible to acquire a renewal as an independent resident permit until they reach the age of 24 and then it is possible to renew it further, according to pertinent immigration legislation. Family members have the same obligation pertaining to the collection of biometric data. The requirement to provide their fingerprints applies to all third-country nationals over 6 years old, and the digital signature requirement applies to all citizens over the age of 12 years. So in the case of your son, he is entitled to the above status and he has to come in Greece with a legal entry visa. For the issuance of the entry visa, the consulate will need the consent of his mother in writing. In addition to the other documentation that needs to be submitted, for his resident permit application you have to submit his birth certificate, your ex-wife's written consent and the related official documentation that proves the custody shared with your ex-wife.

  • Right Target Estate
    January 09, 2019

    You need to prove that you have the custody of your son, such as the official document with apostille of the competent authority of your country that has granted you that custody. You would also need the consent of your wife in the form of an official declaration before Greek authorities.