Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

What documents does my son need to obtain an independent resident permit?

Two years ago, when my son was 19, my family obtained our Golden Visa resident permits. My son is turning 21 years old in two months and we were told that he now needs to apply for an independent resident permit. What documents does he need to provide? Does the investment we made for our Golden Visas have an impact on his ability to transfer to this independent permit?

  • Synergia Technical and Consulting SA
    November 05, 2018

    According to the Greek immigration law in force, children of third country nationals who have been admitted to Greece under the terms and requirements of a resident permit for property owners are granted a resident permit for family reunification until the age of 21. After that, it is possible to acquire a renewal of a three-year independent resident permit until they reach the age of 24 without any specific documentation. Furthermore after 24 years, it is possible to renew it further, according to pertinent immigration legislation. However, we could propose to consider the possibility to transfer the property to your son before the age of 24. If you have no other family members besides your spouse and your adult son who are currently enjoying the privilege of a resident permit, the best solution is either the sale or the donation/parental provision of the property to your son. In such a situation, your son becomes the main investor and his parents, as family members, are granted the privilege of a resident permit.