Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

What happens to my Greek Golden Visa if I divorce my husband who is the principal applicant of the application?

My husband and I got our Greek Golden Visas three years ago. He was the principal applicant of our application. However, we are considering a divorce, but I am worried that doing so might impact my status in Greece. Our child is only 10 years old so we cannot transfer the property to him to maintain our status. Is there a solution to my situation?

  • Right Target Estate
    January 18, 2019

    Theoretically, you are no longer entitled. But practically no one will know. So until the time your permit is valid, you shouldn't worry about it. But once your permit has to be renewed (I will remind you it has a duration of five years), then you won't be able to renew it.

  • Aggeliki G. Androutsou
    January 18, 2019

    If you divorce your husband you will not be entitled to a resident permit.

  • Papalois & Associates Legal
    January 18, 2019

    Normally you have to lose your resident permit. Though, if you do not declare it at the immigration office, you will not lose it.

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    January 22, 2019

    Since your resident permit is issued as a family member of a property owner, if you divorce your husband theoretically you are no longer entitled. Even though you won’t announce the divorce to the competent authorities on time, once your resident permit is to renewed after five years, you have to submit a recent family status certificate and the competent authorities will be informed about it. But there are other related provisions of Greek immigration law about family reunification in case of divorce. An autonomous resident permit may be granted to persons admitted under family reunification, in the event of a divorce or marriage annulment or a proven discontinuance of marriage, provided that the marriage lasted until the commencement of the divorce or marriage annulment or the proven marriage breakdown for at least three years from one year was spent in the country. Each member of the family shall apply, in accordance with the provisions of Article 8, for the issue of an autonomous resident permit if she satisfies one of the above conditions, accompanied by the required supporting documents. It could be very helpful if you contact a lawyer to support you in this issue.

  • January 22, 2019

    Third-country citizens who are holders of the Golden Visa may be accompanied by their family members to whom individual resident permits shall be issued following a relevant application, and is valid for as long as the sponsor’s own permit is. Family members include: the spouse; the direct descendants of both spouses or of either spouse, who are under 21 years of age; direct ascendants of the spouses. Descendants older than 21 and up to 24 years of age are granted an independent resident permit pursuant to Article 76, Law 4251/2014. So, if you get a divorce, you will automatically lose your resident permit, because you got your permit due to the Golden Visa of your husband. If this relationship ends, then you will lose your permit and you will have to leave the country unless you fulfill other requirements in order to get an individual resident permit.