Ask A Question  | Learn more about Cayman Islands

Which kinds of real estate investments are acceptable for Cayman Islands permanent residency?

I want to make a real estate investment through the persons of independent means method. However, what kinds of real estate are acceptable? Do I have to start from scratch or can I join in someone else’s project as a financial backer?

  • Bedell Cristin
    April 01, 2019

    For the purposes of an application for a certificate of permanent residence, the investment must be in developed real estate (undeveloped or off-plan is not permissible). The investment can be in a single or multiple properties and can be residential, commercial or a mixture of the two. It is absolutely fine to invest with a business partner and/or for the investment to be made in someone else's existing project. Either way, the applicant must be in a position to show the chief immigration officer that they have invested the minimum sum of $2 million Cayman Island dollars ($2,439,024 in U.S. dollars) in developed real estate (either in their personal capacity or by way of a shareholding in the company that owns the developed real estate). I have been successful for applicants in all these different categories and with a mixture of personal and corporate real estate investments.

  • Priestleys
    April 01, 2019

    The legislation that governs this topic has recently changed, but neither the old legislation nor the new legislation delineates what types of investments (other than developed real estate and cash) are acceptable for this category. This means that your safest bet (depending on which of the four categories of PR by independent means you are aiming for) is to deposit the requisite amount of money in an account here and/or invest the requisite dollar value in developed real estate. Note that you always have the option to write to the immigration department and ask if an alternate investment type is permissible in your circumstances.