Ask A Question  | Learn more about Australia

Who needs to provide police certificate under the Australian 188 visa category?

I am interested in the Australian business innovation and investment visa (188 category). I was told that when preparing for the application, the primary applicant needs to provide police certificates of all members of his or her "family unit" listed in the application, even if they are not migrating. What exactly is the definition of "family unit"? Who is included?

  • R&K Immigration Group
    July 27, 2018

    The main applicant, dependents and children under 18 years (whether migrating or not) need to provide a police clearance certificate from each country they live in for more than a year.

  • Quentin Kuo Law + Immigration
    July 27, 2018

    The definition of "family unit" is usually your spouse and children if you are married. If you are not married, the definition of "family unit" is your unmarried siblings and parents. However, by the end of the application process, both types of family units will need to be disclosed as a matter of identification. Whether or not additional police clearance and health exams will be required will depend on the officer's satisfaction of your risk assessment.

  • Regis Gateways Pty Ltd
    July 27, 2018

    Police certificates are required for you as the primary applicant and any members of the family unit applying in the same application with you, who are ages 16 years and above. Members of "family unit" refers to your spouse/de facto partner, a child/stepchild born out of your current relationship/marriage, or a previous relationship of yours or your partner's.

  • LC Link Pty Ltd Trading As LC Migration
    August 03, 2018

    Applicant's aged over the age of 18 will need to provide police certificate. A police certificate is also required from any country that you have lived in for more than 12 months.

  • Global MigrationSolutions
    October 15, 2018

    All applicants above 16 years old are subject to the police clearance. This applies to all countries the applicant has been living in for more than one year over the last 10 years.