Ask A Question  | Learn more about Portugal

Can I change employer while on a temporary resident visa in Portugal?

I came to Portugal on a D3 "highly qualified" visa. I had my initial residence permit appointment with AIMA and was granted a 2-year temporary residency card valid until November 2025. I want to leave my current employer and work for a different company. This company is outside of Portugal, and I would be more of a "digital nomad" in this new role. Am I allowed to do this if my initial visa was for a different purpose, and will this cause problems when I renew my temporary residence permit?

  • May 12, 2024

    It is possible to change employers while holding a residence permit. Even if the framework is not the same - dependent worker, type of labor contract, or freelancer - the immigration office shall renew the permit and grant a new one according to the proof presented and the type of professional bond.

  • NEXT/Gali Macedo & Associados
    April 08, 2024

    The D3 visa is a work visa for highly qualified individuals who already have a job offer or work contract from a Portuguese company that will be valid for at least 1 year. The permit must be renewed every 2 years, giving applicants the opportunity to apply for permanent Portuguese residency after 5 consecutive years on the visa. This is providing the applicants remain employed and with legally approved residence during this time. If you change employers while on a residence permit in Portugal, as long as you meet the requirements for the D3 Visa category with the new employer, you can continue to benefit from the D3 Visa. The D3 Visa is intendend for foreign citizens that work for Portuguese companies or institutions. For remote work, it is advised using the D7 Visa (Digital nomad workers). This visa is designed for financially independent individuals who can support themselves without working for Portuguese companies.