Ask A Question  | Learn more about New Zealand

Does New Zealand offer a resident permit program for pensioners?

My wife and I are both retirees in the U.S. We own properties and get pensions from the government on a monthly basis. Does New Zealand have a visa/residency program for pensioners like us that can allow us to travel and live freely in the country?

  • Global Immigration Services NZ
    October 22, 2020

    The simplest answer is no.

  • Education Overseas Academy
    October 23, 2020

    If you do not have an adult child who is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, then you and your partner can apply for the Temporary Retirement Visitor visa that is valid for two years and allows you and your partner to travel in and out of New Zealand during this period.

  • October 26, 2020

    New Zealand does not offer a resident visa program specifically for pensioners. There are a number of visa options that might still be applicable, such as the Parent Retirement Category (resident visa), Temporary Retirement Visitor Visa (temporary visitor visa, 2 years) and the Investor 2 Visa (resident visa). If you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident, you might qualify for the Parent Retirement Category. The New Zealand child must sponsor the parents and show an annual income of at least $159,120 New Zealand dollars to be able to sponsor both parents. Without a new Zealand child, there is an option to apply for a Temporary Retirement Visitor Visa. For this visa, you must be 66 or above, have NZD$750,000 to invest in New Zealand for two years, another NZD$500,000 to live on, and an annual income of NZD$60,000. This particular visitor visa is temporary and valid for 2 years. Finally, the Investor 2 program will lead to a resident visa but requires a larger investment of NZD$ 3 million for a period of 4 years.