Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

How can EU citizen and non-EU spouse establish permanent residency in Greece?

I am a U.S. citizen married to a Cypriot. We have been residing in Cyprus for the past three years. As a temporary resident of Cyprus, what will I need to do to establish residency in Greece? And does it matter that my current residency will expire soon?

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    October 11, 2020

    Please be advised that your wife, as a Cypriot citizen (a European state's citizen), has the right to move and relocate to any EU country and apply for the respective residence permit issuance depending on the reason of relocation. Following her residency permit application, you are entitled based on family reunification provisions for your residence permit as a family member of a Greek permanent residency holder. Since you keep now a resident permit of Cyprus under expiration, it would be advisable to enter Greece before the expiration date due to the existing travel restrictions for non-holders of a European residence permit and start the process.

  • Stilianos Ch. Proestakis
    October 09, 2020

    In Greece, if you still have an establishment, you could apply for 5-year residency due to your marriage.