Ask A Question  | Learn more about Italy

How can I apply for a family reunification visa for my wife as a student visa holder in Italy?

I am a Ph.D. candidate at a university in Milan with a student visa. I recently got married and would like to know if I can apply for a family reunification visa for my wife to join me in Italy. She is a Malaysian national.

  • LCA Studio Legale
    April 28, 2020

    Non-EU dependents of holders of a study permit with a validity of at least one year are entitled to apply for a family reunification visa and residence permit. The holder of the study permit may request to the Italian authorities a family reunification authorization which will allow the dependent to apply for a visa at the Italian embassy/consulate in his/her country of origin and enter Italy to apply for a residence permit for family reason. Dependents may also enter Italy with a valid Schengen visa, unless they are entitled to stay 90 days over a 180-day period without the need to apply for a visa and during the allowed stay period, apply for a residence permit for family reason through the so-called family cohesion procedure (coesione familiare). Main requirements in both cases are the validity of the study permit of at least one year, a minimum income not lower than the income set forth by Italian law to be entitled to social welfare contributions, increased by half of such amount for each family member, a suitable accommodation in Italy.

  • Avv. Andrea Parisi
    April 28, 2020

    You are entitled to make your wife join you in Italy. However, note that first, you have to be granted with a legal permit by Italian Authorities, then it will be possible to submit an application for your wife. Indeed, you will be legally considered "responsible" for your wife at the moment of submitting the said application and you will be required to prove of having accommodation and sufficient income to support her as well.

  • Mazzeschi Srl
    April 28, 2020

    Yes, you can on condition that you have obtained a one-year visa. If your visa is for a shorter duration, it is not possible to apply for a family permit.