Ask A Question  | Learn more about New Zealand

How can I apply for a work visa to research investment opportunities for an investor visa in New Zealand?

I learned that I have one year to transfer my investment funds to New Zealand for the purpose of an investor visa application, and it is possible to apply for a work visa to enter the country and do the investigation. How do I apply for such a visa? What documents do I need?

  • Global Immigration Services NZ
    December 11, 2018

    If you have been approved in principle, you can apply, as the principal applicant for a one-year work visa to arrange for the transfer of funds. The family can apply for visitor visas for the same duration. In terms of the detail I suggest you either visit the immigration website or engage the services of an immigration adviser.

  • NAA Immigration and Education Ltd
    December 10, 2018

    You could either apply for a visitor visa or an investor visa and upon AIP, you can apply for a work visa for that purpose. The difference is you won't be able to work with a visitor visa for obvious reasons.

  • December 11, 2018

    Once you have received the approval in principle for your visa application in the investor category, you can apply for a temporary work visa based on that AIP. That's the documentation you need to apply for this work visa.

  • ANZ Migrate
    December 11, 2018

    After you have received the approval in principle (AIP), which is the direction from Immigration NZ that they are satisfied the requirements to date are met, you will be advised that you have 12 months to transfer the funds and make the acceptable investments in New Zealand. It is policy to allow you to apply for a work visa with multiple-entry travel conditions for 12 months after the AIP. Your partner may apply for a visitor or work visa,  and your children may apply for a visitor or student visa. If you want to travel to New Zealand before the AIP decision, you will need to arrange a visitor visa. For a work visa you would need to independently (i.e., separate from your investor application) meet the requirements to qualify for a work visa, e.g., sponsored by an employer in New Zealand. You can find the documents required through checklists on the Immigration NZ website or through local receiving offices, such as VFS in your home country.