Ask A Question  | Learn more about Netherlands

How can I get a Dutch resident permit as a skilled worker?

I currently work for a world-renowned pharmaceutical company as a chemist in my home country. I was told that it is possible to apply for a resident permit in the Netherlands as a so-called "high-skilled migrant." What is the process? What requirements do I have to meet?

  • Delissen Martens
    June 27, 2019

    To qualify for a resident permit as a skilled worker or "highly skilled migrant" in the Netherlands, the worker must be employed at a company that is recognized by the Dutch immigration authorities (IND) as a trusted sponsor. Furthermore, the highly skilled migrant must receive a minimum salary. The minimum gross salary amount is 4,500 per month for an employee age 30 and up. Below 30 years of age, a salary amount of at least 3,299 gross per month applies. For students who graduated in the Netherlands or at a top 200 university, a salary threshold of 2,364 per month applies. This is provided that a resident permit as a "highly skilled migrant" is applied for within three years after graduation. Another important requirement is that the salary that the highly skilled migrant worker receives is justified, considering his function within the company, responsibilities, education, experience, age, etc. In other words, the salary should not be higher or lower than the value within the Dutch labor market. A resident permit as a highly skilled migrant can only be applied for by the employer that is recognised by the IND. The process is fairly straightforward and usually takes between two and four weeks. Alternatively, the skilled worker may qualify for a EU blue card in order to work at a company in the Netherlands. Although the required salary amount under the blue card scheme is much higher (5,272,00 gross per month), it is not required for the employer to be recognized. A bachelor's or master's degree is required in order to qualify for the EU blue card.