Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

How can my parents keep their resident permits of Greece if I transfer my property to my son?

Three years ago, I applied for the Greek Golden Visa program. My son, wife and my parents all got resident permits in Greece. My son is going to be 24 years old next year and will lose his status. My attorney suggested that I transfer the property I bought for the application under his name, so he could keep his status. This way, my wife and I won’t lose our eligibility. However, what about my parents? Do they lose their status if I transfer the property to my son? Can grandparents be included in a Golden Visa application?

  • Dimitra Mella & Partners
    October 01, 2019

    According to the pertinent provisions of the Greek law, family members who are also eligible for Golden Visas are the direct ascendants of the investor and his/her spouse/partner. Accordingly, if you proceed to the transfer of your property to your son, your parents will not be eligible for the Greek Golden Visa anymore, as they are not direct ascendants of your son. On the other hand, you and your wife will maintain your eligibility, as the direct ascendants of your son.

  • Stilianos Ch. Proestakis
    June 03, 2019

    Grandparents are included in a Golden Visa application of the main applicant.

  • Penny Konitsioti
    June 01, 2019

    Please be aware that grandparents are not eligible to obtain Golden Visa, not even as parents in case of an adult applicant.

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    June 01, 2019

    According to the law, family members of third-country citizens entering the country are considered: spouses; the other spouse or partner with whom a third-country national has a cohabitation agreement in Greece; the direct unmarried descendants of the spouses, who are under the age of 21; the unmarried children of the supporter or of the other spouse/partner, provided that their custody has been legally entrusted to the sponsor (for his/her children) and to the other partner (for his/her children), under 21 years of age; the direct relatives of the spouses in the ascending line. In case you transfer your property to your son, you are entitled for the privilege of a Golden Visa but not your parents. There is no such a provision in the law for grandparents.