Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

Is my wife eligible for a Greek work permit if I have one?

My employer sponsored me for a work permit and now I am working in Athens. Can my wife get a long-term visa and live with me in Greece? Will she get a work permit because I have one, or does she have to look for another employer who is willing to sponsor her for a work permit?

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    September 05, 2019

    A third-country national who has been legally resident in Greece for a period of two years shall be entitled, at his request, to submit an application for his family members reunification. In order to exercise the right referred to in the preceding paragraph, the maintainer must prove the family relationship with the members of his family for whom he is seeking reunification in Greece, and that he cumulatively fulfills the following conditions: he has accommodation capable for the needs of himself and his family members for whom he is seeking reunification, as defined by the decision of the Minister of Health under Article 43 of Law 4025/2011 (A 228), as applicable; he has a stable and regular personal income, sufficient for the needs of himself and his family, which does not come from recourse to the country's social assistance system; he has full health insurance for all the risks covered by the respective categories of resident workers, which can also cover members of his family. The family members shall have the same right as: access to education; access to subordinate work, provision of services or work upon first renewal of their resident permit; access to vocational guidance, basic and further training, and retraining.

  • Penny Konitsioti
    September 05, 2019

    Please have in mind that this procedure is different than the typical Golden Visa procedure, so more details will be needed for this issue. It will be taking into account that, generally, a spouse is eligible when following her husband, especially when there are children as well.

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    January 13, 2019

    If you have two years of legal residency in Greece, along with other additional requirements, you could apply for the entry and stay of your wife as a family member. Your wife will also have access to employment during the first renewal of he resident permit.

  • Stilianos Ch. Proestakis
    September 04, 2019

    As a wife, she could have a resident permit. But for a Greek work permit she needs her own employer or her private business occupation.