Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

What happens to our Greek Golden Visas with changes in dependents?

We have been living in Greece on a Golden Visa for the past two years. My son, however, will be marrying a woman whom he met at school outside of Greece. After their marriage, can he keep his Golden Visa, and is his wife eligible for one as well? Why or why not?

  • Papalois & Associates Legal
    March 14, 2019

    He can keep the resident permit, but his wife cannot receive one because of him.

  • Stilianos Ch. Proestakis
    March 14, 2019

    That is the question! In few words we build our path. It is a step-by-step procedure.

  • Aggeliki G. Androutsou
    March 20, 2019

    With a legal entry into Greece, she may be granted a resident permit by her husband.

  • Right Target Estate
    March 20, 2019

    If your son is still eligible for a Golden Visa (as your dependent), his wife will also be.

  • Penny Konitsioti
    March 15, 2019

    Please clarify if your son is underage (18 years old) or above. In the second case, he will need to apply for a Golden Visa for himself and his wife.

  • Key To Success Limited
    March 17, 2019

    As per current legislation, the Golden Visa, which is issued pursuant to a real estate investment (i.e., property at minimum cost of 250,000 euros), will be valid to the owner(s) of the father, mother and children (dependents) up to 21 years of age and grandparents. Any dependents exceeding the age of 21 years will be required to make their own investment in order to continue being eligible for the Golden Visa under real estate investment, and this goes for their spouse. If the property is valued per contract at 500,000 euros and above, it may then be divided (50 percent may be transferred to the dependent) so this same property can offer eligibility to the dependent who is over 21.

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    March 17, 2019

    According to the law, family members of permanent residence holders as property owners are considered: spouses; the other spouse or partner with whom a third-country national has a cohabitation agreement in Greece; the direct unmarried descendants of the spouses who are under the age of 21; the unmarried children of the supporter or of the other spouse/partner, provided that their custody has been legally entrusted to the sponsor (for his/her children) and to the other partner (for his/her children), under 21 years of age; and the direct relatives of the spouses in the ascending line. So following the above provisions in force, in reference to your son, he will lose his permanent residency. But you have to take into consideration the possibility to sell/transfer of property ownership through parental benefit to your son under the condition that he is 18 years old. Under this scheme your son as main investor, his wife and you as parents will be entitled for Golden Visa privileges. For the legal part and steps of the above procedure, you have to ask for a lawyer's advice.

  • Independent Advisor
    March 19, 2019

    How old is your son? In principle, the Golden Visa applies to single dependents.