Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

What happens to the dependents of a Greek Golden Visa if the applicant passes away?

About a year ago, my father died. He supplied us with a home in Athens and we were his dependents as part of his Golden Visa application. However, he has been gone awhile now, but what happens to our visas? Do we have to adjust something on our documentation to maintain our Golden Visa status? And what should we do with the Athens home, which is still in his name?

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    August 04, 2019

    Following to a recent amendment of Greek Immigration Law, beneficiaries of the right of entry and the permanent resident permit for property owners, which shall be renewed every five years, include third-country citizens who are adults and who fully and legally own real estate property in Greece, the minimum objective (tax) value of which is 250,000. It can be acquired through intestate succession, will or parental concession. So for the property in yours father's name you have first to check if your father has left a testimony and in any case to proceed to acceptance of inheritance. Afterwards, and as property owner regarding your residence permits status there are some issues to be arranged but you have to advise a lawyer for coordination of the subject.

  • Penny Konitsioti
    August 02, 2019

    Please be aware that even though your father passed away you are still eligible to maintain your Golden Visa. For the property in his name, you will need to proceed to acceptance as inheritance in case he hasn’t made a last will testimony.

  • Stilianos Ch. Proestakis
    August 02, 2019

    Well, the property is no longer at your father's hands. You need to take some actions.