Ask A Question  | Learn more about Japan

What are my solutions if I cannot obtain a visa before the certificate of eligibility expires?

I want to apply for residency in Japan through business investment. I was told that one needs to obtain a certificate of eligibility first, then apply for a visa to enter the country. I was once denied a multiple entry visitor visa to Japan three years ago and am worried about the visa application process. What are my solutions if I obtain a certificate of eligibility but couldn’t get a visa? Can I extend the validity of the certificate?

  • Nakai Immigration Services LPC
    April 24, 2020

    Under the emergency measure, the validity of the certificate of eligibility became six months from three months temporarily. You have to obtain a visa and enter Japan within six months after the certificate was issued. The record of visitor visa denial may not affect the issuance of a long term working visa depending on the ground of rejection.