Ask A Question  | Learn more about Japan

What are the requirements and process of applying for “permanent residency for highly-skilled foreign professional” in Japan?

I want to migrate to Japan by applying for “permanent residency for highly-skilled foreign professional”. Could you please explain the process and requirements of this visa? Do I have to have a job and a work permit in Japan before I am eligible to apply for permanent residency under this category?

  • Nakai Immigration Services LPC
    November 22, 2019

    The fast track to Permanent Residency (PR) via Highly-Skilled Professional (HSP) visa status is as follows: You find a certain employer in Japan to hire you and exchange a contract for working them; the employer applies for a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) of HSP status at the local immigration office; the CoE would be issued if 70 points or more is confirmed in the point calculation table (; a work visa is issued by a Japanese consulate office overseas upon your application with the CoE; you enter Japan with the landing permission of HSP status by the visa and CoE; you can apply for a PR status one year after the landing if you will have kept 80 points or over covering all your stay. If your score is more than 70 points but fewer than 80, you can apply three years after the landing. PR status would be granted after about 10 months of screening in the immigration office.