Ask A Question  | Learn more about Japan

What kind of visas should I apply for if I get a job offer from a Japanese company?

I am a freelance translator living in the U.S. and have a long working relationship with a Japanese company. Now they are considering offering me a position at their office in Osaka. I would like to know what kind of visas I should apply for and what documents I need to obtain from the company in order to relocate to Japan.

  • Nakai Immigration Services LPC
    March 05, 2019

    An engineer/specialist in humanities/international service visa status you should apply for. The company needs to apply for a certificate of eligibility at Osaka immigration office first. They have to submit a copy of an offer letter, your resume and evidence showing your background, the company's annual report and certificate of registration, among other documentation.

  • Administrative Scrivener Office Visaed80
    March 07, 2019

    To be able to work in Japan, you must obtain a visa applicable to your specific work responsibilities. According to the information you provided, you should apply for the engineer/specialist in humanities/international services visa. Essentially, you will need a certificate of eligibility which will require the submission of documents pertaining to your potential company employer, your job description per the terms and conditions of your employment contract, your educational background and career history, etc. The certificate of eligibility is issued by the Ministry of Justice, and must be presented to the Japanese embassy available at or nearest to your place of residence where and when you will apply for the visa.