Ask A Question  | Learn more about Greece

What happens to my resident permit if I divorce my husband who co-owns the property we used for the Golden Visa program?

Two years ago, my husband and I purchased a property in Greece. The title has both our names on it. Since we were married then, we were able to obtain the resident permits using a property worth 300,000 euros. Now we are considering a divorce. What could happen to our permits if we divorce? I know that normally if the property is fully owned by one party in a marriage, then a divorce might impact the status of another party. But in our case, since the property is co-owned by both of us, could we both lose our resident permits?

  • Energopiisi SA Investment Consulting Services
    October 03, 2018

    The renewal of the residence permit requires different documents, including the following specific ones: 1) Recent certificate from the land registration office that proves that the property remains under the possession and ownership of the interested party; 2) In case of co-ownership between the married spouses, a declaration by the applicants that the family circumstances have not changed. In your case, since the family status will be changed due to divorce, every applicant should proceed to an additional property acquisition of the missing amount in order to fulfill the requirements by the law of a minimum investment 250,000 euros, and renew his/her residence permit as the main applicant.

  • Right Target Estate
    October 04, 2018

    The problem could appear when you need to renew your permit in five years from the day you first received it. You will need to show that not only do you still own the property, but that you are still married. Otherwise, one of you might lose it.

  • Papalois & Associates Legal
    October 03, 2018

    Yes, both of you will normally lose your resident permits. One of you needs to transfer the percentage of property to other party and submit to an immigration office. Otherwise, if you have bought 50 percent for each one of you, each one of you has paid 150,000 euros (for property of 300,000 euros). You can make a supplementary purchase of 100,000 euros and cover the gap.