Ask A Question  | Learn more about Canada

What medical examination must foreign investors clear in order to gain permanent resident visas in Canada?

I've heard that Canada requires foreigners to clear certain medical requirements such as examinations before they are allowed to get permanent resident visas. What medical requirements would I have to complete to fulfill medical requirements?

  • Favreau Law Firm
    July 06, 2021

    For all immigration applications, you need to undergo a medical examination. There is no list of diseases like the U.S. that makes you ineligible. It is basically an evaluation of how much treatments your illness would cost to the Canadian government. If it is more than the national average, you need to show you can pay by yourself and you have a personal plan to get treated.

  • Simard & Associates Limited
    July 07, 2021

    Medical exam is indeed required for permanent residence applicants. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will send instructions to the applicants on how to complete the medical exam after they submit the permanent residence application. With the medical exam instruction, the applicant will need to see a doctor on the IRCC's list of panel physicians. You can find more information about the medical exam on IRCC's website:

  • JTH Lawyers Inc.
    July 06, 2021

    Canada offers complete health insurance to all permanent residents and citizens; hence, permanent residency applicants are required to undergo a medical test from anywhere in the world by doctors authorized by Canadian immigration. The principal applicant, spouse and dependent children must get a medical exam in due time after getting such a request from Canadian Immigration authorities, as a final step before getting their PR visas. If the family is considered as not being a significant burden on Canada's free healthcare system in the upcoming five years, PR visas would be issued. If you or a family member has a specific medical condition, simply reach out to your immigration lawyer to find out if that should be a concern or not.